Leaving on a Jet Plane by Annemarie

Posted in: Us- Nov 18, 2012 3 Comments

We headed to Texas for Thanksgiving this afternoon, and decided to fly this time again. We knew it might be a little trickier, since I didn’t have much (any) lap space for Burke, and we’d be traveling with lots of stuff….but we made it!

We borrowed this cute little monkey backpack from one of our PEP friends, and it worked out fantastically!  We packed a few books, some cars/planes, and some other treats, and I was surprised and giddy when he actually wanted to keep it on at the airport.  He looked like such a big boy carrying around his own stuff.

Our flight from SB left at around 2pm, so getting to the airport around 1230 was right around normally scheduled naptime.  We loosely planned….since you can’t really take credit for planning these kind of things, even when they work out….for Burke to skip his afternoon nap, so he’d be good and tired when we boarded our 2nd flight (the long one) to TX from SF.

Well, he did great on the first, shorter, flight and we landed in SF with a few hours to kill in the terminal there.  Luckily for us, there was a large space for him to run around and play near our gate, and he put on quite a show.  So much so that one of the people sitting near us came over and told us that we should have been charging for his entertainment.  One of the flight attendants took quite a liking to him as well, and made a special trip to find him on the flight to give him a set of wings.  So sweet.

It was Brett’s turn to keep the (not so little anymore) guy on his lap for the flight, which turned out pretty well after all.  As soon as the jets turned on, his eyes got super heavy, and he was OUT!  He stayed that way the entire flight, only waking up once we landed in Houston at midnight.  We found my parents at the baggage claim, and Burke was too excited to go back to sleep.

Brett and I were both a little hungry, so a late night (as in 1am) drive through at Whataburger….#1 no cheese with a Coke…..was definitely called for.  Burke smelled the fries, wanted to get his grubby little hands on some, and didn’t calm down until we were at the house and he had his own plate full of them.  So, after munching away, and filling our bellies with deliciousness at 2am, we finally all retired and went to sleep.

It was a much easier trip than we had expected it to be.  So far, Burke has surprised us by being a pretty good plane traveler.

3 Responses to “Leaving on a Jet Plane”

  1. Mom says:

    Just goes to show, one can fall asleep even in cramped spaces…and look comfortable doing it. Hope you got some shuteye too. Always a fun trip to get our loved ones at midnight especially with the Whataburger stop.

  2. Marisa says:

    i’m impressed! granted a no nap day for kiah would mean he was more likely to sleep regardless but we haven’t been able to get him to sleep on a plane in months! go burke 🙂

  3. Mom Bollman says:

    Knock on wood…..Hope your second one takes after his big brother because trips to TX are a mandatory part of your family! 🙂