Over Christmas break in Las Vegas one night, when I was Pinterest or blog surfing, I came across a technique called Stack and Slash, and was intrigued. I have dreams about things that I find online and they don’t go away until I try them. So, while I was there, I picked up a few fat quarters during one of my Joann trips, with this new project in mind.
I cut the fabric in a very small rectangle (8 inches by 10 inches) with intentions of just trying it out, and maybe making a few mug rugs from the design. Well, when I got back home, and when my Mom was visiting, I got it out again, and decided to go ahead and figure out this new (to me) piecing technique.
I quickly realized that I shouldn’t have made such a small cut into each fat quarter, but what was done, was already done, so I went with it. I cut matching pieces of white and started the stacking and slashing. By this time, however, I had decided that this was what I was going to do for a baby quilt for Amber’s baby. She and Matt aren’t finding out the gender, so I thought that this could be a good neutral pattern.
We got started, and the first batch of stacking and slashing took a lot longer than I had thought it would…this technique is supposed to be a time saver – doh! It was probably a little bit of our fault. 1. I cut the pieces WAY too small to be efficient with this process, and 2. We didn’t really have a good method going – trying to remember in which order the stacks were supposed to go back into each time – but it was fun nonetheless. I brought the materials with me on our trip to TX the next week and we worked on it again there. We managed to get about 90% of the way through the first steps in the two nights at my parent’s house. I finished up the piecing a little over a week ago and I was so happy when it came together! It did help, a LOT, that my cousin sent me a beautiful Rowenta iron in the mail. It’s amazing how much easier and nicer the seams press with a good quality iron!
Another thing that made this quilt more fun to complete was my new walking foot! I finally ordered one, and I’m kicking myself that I didn’t do that sooner! I had to get Brett to come help me install it, but it made the actual quilting part a breeze! Granted I just did some straight lined quilting, but it was so much faster and easier with this right piece of equipment for the task.
For the back I used the little bitty strips that were left over from each fat quarter, and I think it took me almost as long to do that part as it did to do the front. Geez! Working with small pieces like that is NOT easy! I bound it with a sweet little gray polka dot which I thought finished it up quite nicely. I completed the quilt just a few hours before the shower, but really love the way it turned out. It ended up being a little bigger than I thought it would, but it’s a nice size. It was about 43″ x 55″ when it was all said and done.
I hope Baby Moran (who I predicted will be a girl, and born on Sunday, April 1st) will get a lot of love out of it!